Many factors are to be considered when choosing a retirement location. Of course, you need enough income to be able to afford the community your choose. If your retirement funds are OK, you’ll still have to resolve other aspects such as weather, availability to your kids and grandkids, recreation facilities and a few other important points, I’ve been retired for 15 years, and have visited virtually every corner of the world since I took off my workaday chains, and investigated all kinds of retirement communities. Here are my choices, not necessarily in that order:
1. Southern California: Real estate is grossly over-inflated, but maybe the recent downturn will make this area affordable again. Lifestyle is great in San Diego, LA and other Southern California areas. San Francisco and Northern California offer sophistication and culture, but even worse real estate inflation.
2. Arizona: Dry desert climate and super scenery, the Grand Canyon and much more affordable home prices.
3. South Coast of France: Lovely scenery, great food, wine and ambiance.
4. Baja Mexico: Some coastal retire communities offer surprising luxury at low, low prices.
5. Florida’s West Coast: Many comfortable communities for seniors, but not as expensive as Florida’s East Coast.
6. Hawaii: For the true Pacific island life and weather, but be aware of inflation, here too.
7. Northeastern New Jersey: You gotta look hard, but you can find excellent senior communities within an hour’s ride to New York City’s dining and entertainment mecca.
8. Las Vegas: Galloping inflation has leveled off in the past year because of overbuilding, so if you want to live in a high-rise condo near the famous Strip, you may find a Sin City bargain abode for your retirement years.
9. Reno: Was popular years ago when Vegas was just a dusty road, and the Biggest Little City is still a good retirement area for those who like cooler weather, old-time gambling halls and less congestion. 1
0. Florida Keys: If it was good enough for Hemingway, it has to be OK for you. Isolated, but great fishing.