Guide to Michigan Auto Insurance

Michigan is a no fault state. What this means is that every driver must have personal injury protection and property protection insurance; as well as the standard liability coverage. At it is simple for Michigan drivers to obtain up to five quotes from leading insurers to ensure that you are getting the possible rate.

The PIP insurance required by Michigan covers all medical expenses and up to three years of compensation for lost wages. There are ways to minimize the out of pocket expenses for this insurance by working with your health insurance plan for example. The PPI coverage in Michigan covers property damage that you are found at fault for up to the sum of million dollars. The no fault laws make law suits almost unheard of as a result of accidents. The exception are accidents that happen out side of Michigan, injury with death or serious injury.

The Michigan law requires the following amounts of liability coverage that you must maintain
* $20,000 for injury of any one person
* $40,000 for one accident resulting in injury of more than one person
* $10,000 per accident for property damage in another state

It is important to remember that the minimums listed above are minimums. Your financial lending association may require you to carry different amounts of insurance including collision and and comprehensive insurance.

There are other types of insurance that you can purchase and may be required by your lien holder on a new vehicle. Collision is insurance that will cover you when your auto has any type of damage or collision. This includes other objects besides autos, as an example a tree falling on your car.

Comprehensive insurance is the insurance that covers the loss of the vehicle or its contents. It will pay for theft loss, vandalism, and natural disasters. The cost may be worth it to be covered if your car is parked in places that it may be susceptible to theft or vandalism. If you have security devices on your car, the cost of this insurance is drastically reduced.

Uninsured and under insured motorist bodily injury is insurance that will cover you are involved in an accident with a driver without insurance or a driver that does not have the minimum insurance coverage (such as a driver from another state not requiring the same limits). It is important to discuss these additional options with your insurance agent to ensure that you are covered at the limits that will best protect you and your property.