It should go without saying that if you lose some or all of your insured property as a result of an accident or a natural disaster you should file and/or report a property claim of loss as soon as you are able to do so. In the event of a natural disaster that might not be an easy thing for you to do.

On the other hand, there are things can you can do before your home is damaged or destroyed. You should, first of all, learn how to make and/or report a claim of loss. Your insurance provider will tell you exactly what you will have to do and even provide the proper forms in advance of your lose of property. So too, you should fully understand how to add that information to the claim form. The time and the date of the loss is also important information to add to the claim form.

In the event that you have to leave your home prior to the arrival of a storm, it is wise to take the contact information required to notify your insurance provider of your loss. While you are away your home everything within that home might be gone forever, including your insurance policies and the inventory of the other property that was within your home. A fire, flood and/or a tornado or hurricane can completely destroy all that you owned, of which some or all of what was destroyed might never be found.

The proof of your ownership of the insured property within your home, including your home,must also be established in order for you to receive compensation for such losses. Therefore, your insurance claim package should be with you or readily available within a bank safety deposit box in the event that you are unable to return to your home.

Having enough money to sustain yourself and your family, together with that insurance claim package that you created, are the two most important items for your continued short term survival. Some home owner’s insurance policies include a clause for the payment of money to you to satisfy your living requirements, including money spent for a hotel or motel room while your home is being rebuilt.

Keep in mind that a basic home owner’s policy might not include compensation for the lost property that was within your home. Therefore, you should know exactly what your insurance provider will compensate you for, as stated in the policy and what is explained to you by that insurance agent or an attorney. It is wise to seek the services of an attorney who will explain the terms of the policy agreement, so that you will know what you are entitled to receive in the event that you do suffer a loss.